Thursday, June 15, 2006

My old friend Bill Campbell

My theater in Atlanta was within walking distance of the home of Bill Campbell, former Mayor of Atlanta. Since he was the mayor he always had two cop cars right outside his house. Whenever parties at Dad's Garage got too loud, the mayor would send the cops over to "quiet us up". They'd tell us "you're keeping up the mayor" and then they'd generally hang around till everyone left.

When i finally met Bill Campbell, at some event saluting arts leaders he shook my hand, and then a second later shook my hand again like we hadn't met, I mentioned "this is actually the second time you've met me" to which he responded "well, then you should vote for me twice" - it sounded clever in the moment, but the more you think about it, it doesn't make sense.

Yesterday, Bill Campbell was sentenced to 30 months in a federal pen for "tax evasion", he claims it was just "sloopy bookkeeping". He is the 12th person from his administration to be convicted on federal charges.

I hope all this trouble isn't because we kept him up late....

3 Comments:

Blogger Jed said...

It was my job to tell that cops that we were breaking bottles just to see what was in the bottom of the glass...Campbell, never trust a man with a pencil thin mustache, just too much shaving for me.

10:26 AM  
Blogger onthetowns said...

Seeeeeaaaaaaannnnnn!

You.

Me.

Blogs.

YAY!!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Overdroid said...

I was at some of those parties.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home