Monday, May 29, 2006

My Rock


So, we’re done with the first chunk of tech week. On tech Monday, I always have the same thought; “I’ve got to figure out what I’m going to do after theater, as I just can’t do this forever.” Though now that it’s the 20th or so tech Monday, and I’ve come to realize that this feeling is part of the rollercoaster – part of what it’s about, and by opening night, I’ll be nostalgic for it all and looking forward to the next one. This show is tough, but in a great way, in a “we’ve never done this before way”, in a way where you don’t spend your time figuring out how to hide the magic from the audience, but how do you let them in. This morning I woke up to 7 messages on my phone - all slightly panicked and about tech - part of the rollercoaster - just gotta remember. Two days ago Danny Scheie came up to tell me that he so loves shows that try to do things that no other show has done. It was great to hear, because sometimes as you’re teching sound cue #378 that needs to happen when the smog and the 40 lanterns come on – you yearn for simple shows – perhaps a show with one man and a stool – maybe he even chats from time to time – ah, I gotta work on one of these shows. So, what’s great about this week? I’m lucky, because I’m surrounded by some of the most inspiring people in the business, Jon Ludwig is a constant inspiration, as all of our designers who are half insane to have taken this job, and then half brilliant to make it seem easy; and to the cast who never ceases to impress me with how they can be so brilliant, and so patient with tech at the same time. I have a good team, now I just need a good week, and then I can sleep the sleep of the just and start to panic about how long I’ll have to wait until I get back to my next tech week – I’m sure by Sunday, I’ll already miss it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home