Monday, August 27, 2007

So, what do you like?



I had to answer a series of questions for Velocity - below are my answers, we'll see what makes it. I also have to give a shout out to my professional dramaturg, Julie Dubiner - she gets the calls "is this too much" "is this not enough" " does this make any sense", and calmly walks me thru what is actually funny, and what is just me being a 14 year old boy - and when can both things be true.


What are your duties as associate artistic director?
I’m here to direct a good bit, but also to aid in the theaters continuous desire to reach new audiences. At my last two theaters, I was able to create very successful programs that got new people into the theater – so the hope is help with that same effort here. Though first thing up - this fall, I’m directing 3 shows in a row – so really my fall is directing and napping – constantly.

Describe Hedwig and the Angry Inch in one sentence.
The almost true story of your worst break-up underscored by a kick-ass rock and roll soundtrack and illustrated with shadow puppets – while wearing a lot of glitter and a Farrah wig and sharing with strangers and people who know you too well.
OR
It’s about how rock and roll can save you.

Tell me a little bit about the process of directing this play. Was it your idea to transform Victor Jory into a nightclub for the performances?
I love shows that when they start out you think they have nothing to do with you, and by the time they’re over you’re like “oh my god, this show was written about me”. I think Hedwig is that for a lot of us – probably only a few of us have had sex changes to escape east germany – but we’ve all been dumped, we’ve all become obsessed, and we’ve all woken up one day and gone on with our lives.

That and it has to be a kick-ass rock and roll show – so while directing it, I always keep that in the front of my brain.

Yes, we turned the VJ into a run-down tiki bar (complete with giant tiki god), as Hedwig only picks purposely tragic places to perform. Also, setting the show in a tiki allows me to write off my trip to Hawaii on my taxes.

What sort of new programming would you like to push at Actors?
I’m a big fan of the funny – and so few playwrights today write straight out comedy – all the comedy writers have gone to tv, and all the contemplative writers have come to theater. I’m looking to work with more playwrights to find their comedic theatrical voice.

How long have you been in Louisville?
Since late May – before the Al Gore induced heat-wave hit and drove all of us inside – into tiki bars.

What do you think of the place?
I totally dig it – I came from the Bay Area, where no one does anything funny and no one make good barbecue. Actually it reminds me a lot of Atlanta (where I lived for 10 years), but without the whole “wish Sherman hadn’t burned us to the ground” thing. Oh, and toss in the ponies and I’m totally sold.

Are there any bars or lounges around town that you like?
Outlook Inn, the Magbar, Freddies, Monkey Wrench – clearly you can see that I only enjoy 5 star bars.

What type of music do you normally listen to?
Afghan Whigs, Dandy Warhols, Spoon, Ben Folds – but I also love me some Rat Pack on vinyl. It’s a sound that makes you want to have that second martini.

Any favorite musicians? What do you like about them?
Neil Diamond – the man is so moved he can’t even sing to the chair – someday I’ll understand that lyric, until then I just listen in awe.

What types of books do you like to read?
I’m always reading – recently there was: Middlesex, The Golden Compass Series, some Murakami - oh, and before that I was a total cliché and inhaled the last Harry Potter book.

Are you reading anything now?
Absurdistan by Gary Shteyngart – one of the few writers that makes me laugh out loud while I’m reading him.

Do you have any favorite magazines or websites?
Mental_Floss and Found are staples for me.

Any favorite TV shows?
Freaks and Geeks (R.I.P.) Battlestar Gallactica, Lost, Project Runway, Deadwood (R.I.P.), Daily Show (our Hedwig music director is the guy behind the music – any my college roommate is one of the correspondents – so I’m not allowed to miss it) and The Wire is currently blowing my mind. I also have a soft spot for 90210. Damn I miss those kids.
I used to be a giant Monty Python fan, and then I was lucky enough to get work with John Cleese and Michael Palin on a show – so now I’m even more of a fan, if that’s too possible. (too name droppy?)

What types of movies do you enjoy?
I think Wes Anderson (Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore) is a genius as is Paul Thomas Anderson (Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love) – and old Woody Allen is truly transcendent comedy.

Do you have a favorite?
Cinema Paradiso gets me every time.

What’s the last movie you saw at the cinema?
I saw Spiderman 3 in Buenos Ares – with subtitles – even the Spanish though the guy from Wings was a let down.

Do you have any hobbies like sports, art, etc.? What do you generally like to do with your free time?
Grew up as a Redskins Fans (in my family it wasn’t an option not to be), and actually spent a season as a “towel boy” for the Phoenix Suns. But generally when you work for a theater, free time is a bit like the Loch ness Monster – someone claims they saw it once, but you’re pretty sure it doesn’t exist.

1 Comments:

Blogger catsoks said...

Piss... I was just thinking this morning that it'd be a good time to finally get around to reading Middlesex, but I imagine showing up with that after Harry Potter might seem a little too Single White Female.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home